I’m a carnivore. I have many friends who are vegetarians or vegans, and I support their lifestyle decision, but for me, I eat meat. That doesn’t mean I eat just any meat. I try my best to make smart choices and buy food that is humanely raised. Living in Connecticut surrounded by local small farms makes it easier for me, but you don’t have to live rural to eat humanely. but you do need to know how to figure out what IS humanely raised!
Free-range, cage-free, all natural … what does it all mean? These terms can be confusing, overwhelming,at at times, misleading. The ASPCA has a put together a guide to help and tell you what they really mean for farm animals so you’ll always be armed with the facts when you shop. In fact they have lots of resources!
- ASPCA Shop With Your Heart website, which includes a plethora of resources on how to find more healthy and humane food options:http://www.aspca.org/ShopWithYourHeart
- Label guide that decodes what different labels mean and recommends what to look for: http://www.aspca.org/take-action/help-farm-animals/meat-eggs-dairy-label-guide
- Downloadable list of food brands that have higher welfare certifications: http://www.aspca.org/take-action/help-farm-animals/shop-your-heart-grocery-list-guide
- Info on where to find higher-welfare products: http://www.aspca.org/take-action/help-farm-animals/finding-higher-welfare-products
- A Good Groceries Guide on how to help people, animals, and the planet: https://www.aspca.org/sites/default/files/the_good_groceries_guide_final_version.pdf
- List of farms that are welfare-certified: http://www.aspca.org/take-action/help-farm-animals/certified-farms-by-state
- Downloadable supermarket request card if your grocery store does not carry higher welfare products: https://www.aspca.org/sites/default/files/supermarket-request-letter_062316_revised.pdf
For many years I belonged to a local organic farms CSA- I adored Waldingfield Farm. I love everything about them, from the farmers, to the vegetables and foods they shared with me. I really loved how much they cared about their land and how they grew food.
The ASPCA is hosting a giveaway for some excellent items to help bring awareness :
- A variety of resources on how to have a more humane holiday, including:
- An ASPCA Shop With Your Heart sustainably-sourced cotton tote for grocery shopping (this is a nice cotton tote – the reusable grocery bag)
- A Shop With Your Heart portable bamboo cutting board
- A Shop With Your Heart silicone grip oven mitt
- A Shop With Your Heart smoothie blender bottle with a shaker ball
You can enter here:
a Rafflecopter giveaway