If I had to choose my kids favorite food, I’d have to say it’s macaroni and cheese. It’s the PERFECT comfort food. I have for YEARS made my Grandma’s recipe for baked mac and cheese, and it’s REALLY good, but I was wanting to make a creamier version of mac & cheese that one of my kids had at a restaurant. So I decided to mess around until I came up with my own version!
Best Ever Creamy Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
- I box elbow macaroni cooked al dente
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked crisp and chopped More or less to taste
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste I use 1/2 sale and 1/2 pepper
- 1/4 t dry mustard Trust me
- 3 blocks of cheese- shredded *
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring often for about 6 minutes.
- Slowly add milk to the roux, stirring. Add spices. Bring to a boil, and simmer 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, a handful at a time, stirring until its melted. I used extra sharp, sharp and honestly, whatever cheese I have in the cheese draw that needs using up! I find that cheese I shred myself melts easier and more smoothly.
- Save about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Once you have all the cheese melted into the cheese sauce, add the macaroni and stir until it's well blended.
- Add the bacon, if using, but save some to sprinkle on the top.
- Pour the mac & cheese into the prepared pan, and top with the remaining cheese and bacon, and bake for 20 minutes.
My kids loved this new mac and cheese as much as Grandma’s Mac! I liked to add a little chopped jalepeno to mine for an extra kick!