I had some yummy lefotver roastd chicken from my dinner on Monday, and as it was a cold, reainy, gloomy day I decided to make a chili. I used to LOVE my friend Lynn’s chili, and miss her cooking since I left New York, so I decided to try to make my own. The end result was soo amazing that I know I’ll be making it again!
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 seeded jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 can (4-ounce) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cans large white beans, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup grated low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and cook about 5 minutes, til tender.
- Add garlic, jalapeño, green chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cloves, and cayenne. Cook and stir the mixture until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken broth, chicken and white beans. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't be concerned it it's a little watery.
- At the end of 20 minutes, Smash up chili with a potato masher or wooden spoon until about half of the beans are smashed. This will thicken up the chili quite a bit.
- Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped tomato, salsa, and/or scallions.
- Makes 6 serving,
- Per Serving:
- Calories: 317 Carbs: 30 Fat:7 Protein:33
It was SUPER yummy! Even Aedan loved it! This way, it isn’t too hot, but I added hot sauce and more jalepenos to mine and Dave’s and it had quite a kick! YUM
What do YOU do with leftover chicken?