Having started a new way of life in 2011, I learned a lot of things on my way to finding a healthier me. These are my top 10.
- The numbers on the scale do not matter as much as inches. All in all, the pounds I’ve lost haven’t meant as much to me as how my clothes fit and the inches I’ve lost. muscle weights much more than fat! Take your measurements to keep track-
- Go to the gym, (or out for a walk, or put on a tape) for at least 10 minutes. Even on those days you don’t want to get dressed, promise yourself you’ll do it for at least a few minutes. You’ll end up finishing most of the time!
- JOURNAL JOURNAL JOURNAL your food! Keeping track of what I am eating is KEY to when I lose weight,. I ALWAYS underestimate how much I’m eating, and when I go back and look, I’m surprised. (I use myfitnesspal.com) Name: wendydelmo. friend me!
- It is OK to make YOURSELF a PRIORITY You have to give yourself permission to make YOU the most important person sometime, even if its just for 20 minutes a day. YOU deserve it. it is a commitment to yourself.
- Be accountable to someone. I am accountable to my blog readers, my family, my trainer and my training partner, and my online support group, Mamavation. Most importantly, to myself.
- A pedometer and/ or heart rate monitor (or Bodymedia) helps keep you keep track- use your tools! I love all my gadgets,and wear them often. They all help me in different ways.
- SMOOTHIES and RAW JUICES ROCK We love having smoothies and juices almost everyday. It’s a very easy way to make sure that everyone gets in most of the nutrition they need. I buy a bunch of fruit, bring it home and freeze it. Along with some greek yogurt, BOOM,done!
- Surround yourself with supportive people Although I was scared to DEATH to write about my weight publicly, I am overwhelmed sometimes by the positive feedback I have received! Having people around who will give me the encouragement I need is KEY!
- Find some sort of exercise you love! I hate burpees and planks, but like the bosu ball, and the free weights. I’ve tried them all, and found my favorites!
- Allow mistakes and off days! This might be the most important. Everyone has off days, and slip up and things don’t go the way you plan. Don’t give up, just pick yourself up and start again!
These are just a few of the things that have helped me this year. It’s a huge commitment to make, but a very worthwhile one. It takes a lot,and be harder than you think, bit it’s worth it!
What was the most important thing you’ve done for yourself this year to improve your health?