Ok, ok—maybe this isn’t the healthiest food around- BUT it is my families favorite Christmas Cookie. I have NO idea on how to spell it, but I know how to make it! And, honestly it’s only 72 calories a cookie- we can still make them and have one or two- and talk about Grandma Horsey who taught me how to make them!
A favorite Christmas Cookie taught to me by an Italian Grandma!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups white flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp anise extract
- 3 TBSP milk, or what's needed to make a thick glaze
- Colored sprinkles or non-pariels
- pre-heat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Cream butter with sugar- add eggs, one at a time till mixed well- the add vanilla. Slowly add flour- mix till all flour is thoroughly combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to take 1 tsp portions and roll into ball. Place 1' apart on cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes,or until the BOTTOMS are lightly browned- JUST barely colored! Remove from over,and cool on wire rack.
- Mix confectioners sugar, anise and milk to a thick glaze. Dip rounded part of cooled cookie into glaze- then place cookie on wire rack. (put waxed paper underneath to catch any drips)/. Sprinkle with non-pariels while wet, and let the icing dry.
- This recipe makes 96 cookies-
What is your favorite Christmas treat? Is there anythign you’ll make, no matter the calories, becasue it screams HOLIDAYS to you?