My kids favorite food is Chicken Parmesan, or Chicken Parm, as we call it. They LOVE it, but it can take half a day to make properly, not to mention not being very healthy. I came across a video of someone making pan pan chicken parm, so I decided to make a version my kids would eat. They not only ate it, they DEVOURED it! I was happy I used healthier ingredient: non-breaded and non-fried chicken, whole wheat pasta, low fat cheese, and from scratch sauce (that I had frozen). This is SO tasty- and perfect to make ahead and reheat on those nights when you have to have two kids in two different places at once!
I do not use jarred sauce, I make my MIL’s awesome sauce and keep some in the freezer! Served with a salad it was an incredibly tasty (and fast) meal.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp fried minced onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 8 ounce can diced tomatoes (fine with onions and peppers)
- 24 ounces tomato sauce (I use homemade, but you can use jarred sauce)
- 3/4 box dried whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- 6 ounces low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- Cut the chicken breast into 2 inch pieces.
- Combine all the dried seasoning and sprinkle it all on the chicken. Mix in to coat evenly. Yes, it looks like too much, but trust me, it's not
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep ovenproof pan, then add chicken and saute until done.
- Add about 1/2 cup of water to deglaze the pan, then stir in the can of diced tomatoes.
- Add the tomato sauce, then 24 ounces of water. Stir well, then bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Break spaghetti in half and add to the pot, Still to cover well. This REALLY fills the pan up so go carefully. (or you could do this in a medium pot). Boil the pasta in the sauce until it is cooked al dente. You may need to add a bit more water to the pot from time to time- but no more than 1 cup.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from broiler and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this healthier and tastier version of Chicken Parmesan!