Trying to eat healthy and clean isn’t always easy. especially when you want some good old fashioned comfort food. Then I decided to go ahead and make my Grandma’s Recipes, my comfort food, but lighten it up and make it healthier.
I had a great big bunch of apples from my CSA this weekend. These organic apples were not lovely to look at, but BOY they were tasty! I made a huge batch of apple butter, and had some apples left over. I put together an apple crisp. I substituted wheat flour for half of the white flour, added flax meal, and cranberries to add some extra vitamins. Switched out butter for I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, too
- 6-8 cooking apple, peeled and sliced
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Stevia
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 2 TBSP whole wheat flour
- 3 TBSP ground flax meal
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 TBSP I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (or other soft spread)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix the apples and cranberries in a bowl. Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp Stevia Place in the baking pan.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and crumble over the apples
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the apples are tender.
What is your favorite dessert?