After the week I had of being so sick I got NOTHING done, I am happy to say that I’m finally feeling better! A friend sent over a ham to feed my family while I was sick, so I decided to make a soup with the ham bone. I put up a pot Lentil soup. It was so tasty and simple- the perfect way to end the week!
- I ham bone (with meat!)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh group pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbls red wine vinegar
- In a LARGE pot, combine ham bone, broth, lentils, carrots, celery, onion, sugar, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, covered, and then reduce heat to a simmer- simmer for about an hour, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bone from soup, let cool slightly, then remove meat. Chop meat and set aside. Remove 1'/3 of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return to pot with remaining ham meat and red wine vinegar. Stir until blended, then serve with extra pepper.
This was a seriously yummy soup! It freezes well, too, so I have some all ready for lunch on snowy days!