Guess where I was last week?
I headed to the Mercedes Club in New York City to attend the Fitness Magazines Meet and Tweet. But first,a big group of fitness bloggers met up for coffee!
Fitness Magazine had arranged for us to grab some breakfast ( LOVE hard boiled eggs and a smoothie) Then, they brought out the speakers they had all lined up!
Sarah Lucero was first! This super inspiring style maven has such an inspiring story- she’s a cancer survivor, too– and she spoke about how it give a real appreciation of life, and how it helps to not sweat the smaller stuff.Then she gave some great tips on looking good and on trend this summer:
- Power Pouts and bold lip colors are in
- Match your makeup weight to your clothes: light clothing = light makeup
- Beauty must haves: moisturizer, mist, and mascara
- Over 30? Pay attention to those brows!
I have to admit that I love Dr. Jennifer Ashton and when I saw her name on the list, I was excited. I already one her book, “Your Body, Beautiful” and it’s full of advice that is typical to her: The key to living healthy is: Move. Rest. Nourish . Doesn’t that say it all?
She spoke about a lot of things, but something she said really stuck out in my mind:
Life is an Olympic Sport. You have to train for it.
How true is that?
Then came the Power Bloggers to talk about the Business of blogging. Deb Perelman @SmittenKitchen, Dana Weiss @possessionista, Jill Hanner @JillHanner, and Erin Whitehead @FitBottomedGirl all spoke bout ways they began blogging professionally for a living and one thing they said that was very important:
- Don’t blog for money, but while blogging you CAN make money!
- Be true to yourself and your story.
- Don’t be like everyone else. Be YOURSELF and stand out!
- Numbers are not as important as people say.
- Negative comments will happen. Don’t give it weight- don’t feed the troll!
Then came Brett Hoebel, featured trainer in season 11 of The Biggest Loser and founder of Hoebel Fitness. He was talking about Extreme Sports and how people who participate in them tend to brag talk about it via social media, leading to other people thinking; If THEY can do it, I can do it: people are getting hurt! Many people say they do not have time to work out, but the truth is, you can get a good workout done in 20 minutes. The key is to work hard and “get breathless”. Give 100% of yourself for 20 minutes and you will see results! Anyone can find 20 minutes, no?
Lastly, was the awesome amazing and super cute Rocco DiSpirito from Food Network, Top Chef, and his new book Now Eat This! Italian. He shared some wonderful tips for eating and cooking healthy.
Some of my favorite tips:
When eating out, have half packed up to go right way. Chefs plate food nowadays to look great- and there is usually way too much food. Bring it home for another meal! Also, avoid that bread basket! Things to keep in your kitchen:
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Parmigianino cheese (grate with a micro plane!)
- Dijon Mustard
- Cottage cheese
- Stock in a box
- Herbs and spices
- Rocco made a point to say if you eat out, tell the chef if you are eating a special diet. Ask for foods cooked the way you want them- and if you need to have a special meal, ask for it. I loved every second of listening to him, he was like a neighbor chatting with you about something he was excited about!
- After the speakers we broke for lunch and some social time, We got to check out the great sponsors:
- Yes, I took a Balanced Blogger pic, too, at the Smart Balance booth. I LOVE Peanut butter, but I kinda look like I’m scared to death of that bosu ball!
I just LOVE a rooftop full of bloggers!
Sarah and I have been online buddies for a few years now- and we both are part of a Connecticut Bloggers group together. It’s always so nice to see her!
I loved meeting @Christie Griffin, the Digital Director for Fitness Magazine. She’s just as sparkly and bubbly in person as she is online!
LOVE Toni Church!
A group of new friends! I had written before about how I was nervous about going to the meet up, but it was silly to even waste time on that. I was surrounded by a whole bunch of super friendly people who were accepting and supportive. This event ROCKED!
After time to chat and eat and visit sponsors, it was time for out workouts. This was the thing I was most worried about. I haven’t been working-out lately, I KNOW I’m out of shape and I was scared. Me, being me, decided to go for the yoga since it was out of my comfort zone.
IT. WAS. AMAZING.
Yoga was hosted by Reebok and taught by Tara Stiles. I loved listening to her giggle and talk us through the class in the crazy heat. In fact, it was SO fantastic that I’ll have to tell you all about in another post. Watch out for that.
I love this girl.
If the event wasn’t fantastic enough, on our way back to Grand Central Station I stopped and had a drink with some new friends! It was like the fun was never ending!
It wasn’t! Once I got home, I had a chance to go through the FULL swag bag! Look at all this fantastic stuff! In fact, there are really 2 pair of sneakers in there, but one’s not pictured!
I had a great time at FitBlogNYC – and am so thankful to Fitness Magazine and all the sponsors that made it happen! It certainly inspired me to get back on track and moving again,. No more waiting— the Time is Now!