I had an extra pickup from our CSA this week at Waldingfiled Farms. I LOVE when it’s been an amazing bountiful year for them as we have an opportunity to buy a share extension. Look at all this yumminess!
I can’t wait to roast that pumpkin and all that squash, and those are cabbage leaves beneath the delicata squash. (I LOVE squash!) My head is SPINNING with recipes!
I wanted to put together a quick supper with some of this bounty, so I made my own version of Apple Sweet Potato Ginger Leek Soup! (there are a lot of versions out there, I just over time have made it my own). This whole soup came together in about an hour with chopping time.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 leeks, slices, white and green parts
- 4 inch piece of ginger, peeled and diced small
- 4 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 large cooking apples, peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock (you can use all water if you want vegetarian)
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper or cinnamon to garnish
- Heat oil in large soup pot medium-high heat
- When hot, add leeks and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes
- Add chopped ginger, and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Add all the liquid, the potatoes, the apples, to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer for 30 -40 minutes until soft.
- Use an immersion blender, or puree in a blender until smooth.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or cinnamon and serve!
What do you do with an abundance of fresh vegetables? What is your favorite soup?